Nov 5, 2008

Mid-Week Fun

Having introduced you to my bikes, I thought you might enjoy seeing my unicycles. I don't ride them as much as I'd like, which is a shame as they're really good fun and riding one is a real crowd pleaser! The red one is my main unicycle. It's a DM Ringmaster and is really top drawer in terms of quality. DM Engineering used aircraft tubing and welding techniques to build their unicycles and they were all hand-made. Sadly due to cheap & crappy chinese imports DM had to cease production as they couldn't compete. The black one is a Pashley (more famous for wheel chairs), It's also handmade but nowhere near as good quality as the DM. I mostly use this one for workshops and training others to ride.

My Ringmaster has traveled extensively with me and was probably best used in Zimbabwe when we worked for a street-kid shelter. I taught some of the kids to ride and one, a guy called Anton really took to it.

I've also used the unicycles at church and in Emyezweni Pre-School in the Lwandle township here in Somerset West.

I don't know much about the science behind unicycling, but I do know that sustained periods of riding uses similar amounts of energy as running. Also, they're great for developing balance which is always useful on singletrack.








Anton mastering the unicycle in Harare


Me trying not to fall off


Entertaining the kids at emyezweni


I got my first unicycle as a 30th birthday present from the wife and then taught myself to ride whilst at bible college. I figured I would need to have something to show for my time there so mastering my unicycle seemed like a good use of my time. And it was!

Related Posts by Categories



No comments: